GO Virginia is a State-wide business-led economic development initiative with funding to invest in collaborative projects that lead to high-paying jobs in each Region.
Counties and Cities of Region 3
- Prince Edward
- City of Danville
- City of Martinsville
Region 3 is ripe with opportunities: established centers of advanced manufacturing and technology, emerging innovation assets that support an entrepreneurial base, educational institutions building a skilled workforce, a significant natural resource base, and civic leadership that creates the necessary social capital to adapt to changing market conditions.
Lower Paying Jobs
Only one out of every four employees in Region 3 is currently employed in a position that creates or attracts wealth for the region. (national average: 36%)
Region 3 has an aging and shrinking population and is losing young talent.
Region 3 has a total population of 371,700 and total employment of 153,265 with a 5.3 percent unemployment rate. (U.S unemployment rate: 4.1%)
The median income level in the region is $35,000.
GO Virginia is a business-led economic development initiative with funding to invest in collaborative projects. Our goal is to bring more business, opportunity and high-paying jobs to the region.
Each region encourages collaboration among businesses, educational institutions, non-profits and government to spur public/private projects that align with the needs identified in our Growth & Diversification Plan that will enhance economic outcomes, generate private sector investment and job creation, and align workforce development programs with employers’ needs.
GO Virginia Region 3 is one of nine regions in Virginia and includes the Counties of Amelia, Brunswick, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Henry, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, Patrick, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward and the Cities of Danville and Martinsville.
Our Council represents a broad net of business leaders, educational institutions, economic developers, and government elected officials and staff.
- Only one out of every four employees in Region 3 is currently employed in a position that creates or attracts wealth for the region. (national average: 36%)
- Region 3 has an aging and shrinking population and is losing young talent.
- Region 3 has a total population of 371,700 and total employment of 153,265 with a 5.3 percent unemployment rate (compare to the U.S unemployment rate of 4.1 percent).
- The median income level in the region is $35,000.
July 2015 Virginia’s senior business leaders launched the GO Virginia Coalition
December 2016 State’s nine regional boundaries set
December 2017 First round of project funding approved
February 2018 Go-TEC (Great Opportunities in Technology and Engineering Careers) is Region 3’s first award recipient, given one of nine investments statewide.
July 2018 Funding for FY 2019 available
Many of our localities are doing great things locally to spur economic development. Imagine what we can do when we combine forces, eliminate duplication of efforts and gain strength in numbers!
The council has identified these sectors as opportunities for regional collaboration:
- Business Services/IT Data Centers
- Advanced Manufacturing and Materials (Aerospace, OTR/Automotive, Production Technologies, Biopharmaceutical, Lighting & Electrical Equipment)
- High Value Natural Resource Products
- Health Care
- Enhanced Capacity Building Grant for feasibility/market studies, pre-development activities and business, workforce or innovation strategies that set you up for success in implementing projects.
- Per Capita Grant for implementation projects such as workforce development, business accelerators, research commercialization endeavors, business site development, and more, as long as they involve two or more localities and have direct economic impact to Region 3.
- State Competitive Grant primarily for implementation projects, stronger if involving two or more regions designed for projects with the legs to compete for funding at the state level.