Region 3 Policies
EFFECTIVE DATE: 07/25/18
It is the policy of the Region 3 Council that the Chairman of the Council, in consultation with the Vice-Chairman and the Fiscal Agent, will have the authority to make categorical line item budget adjustments within the approved Region 3 budget Capacity-Building budget, subject to the policy guidelines established by the GO Virginia State Board. No budget adjustments will result in a change in the total Capacity-Building Budget.
Should the budget adjustment require approval by the Virginia Department of Housing & Community Development staff, the Chairman, in consultation with the Vice-Chairman and Fiscal Agent, is authorized to make that request.
Budget adjustments necessitating transfer among funding categories of the Region 3 budget (Capacity-Building, Per Capita) require the approval of the Regional Council, prior to submission to the State.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 1/23/19
The Region 3 Council understands that investments in site development implementation are an eligible investment category for GO Virginia funding and are a category of funding that is one of three top priorities for the GO Virginia State Board. The Region 3 Council also recognizes the importance of prepared sites in the economic development recruitment process.
With minimal per capita funding, it is the policy of the Region 3 Council to accept, review, and act on applications for site development implementation projects, to be considered only for funding from the Statewide Competitive pool of funds. No Region 3 Per Capita or Capacity-Building Funds will be used for site development implementation projects. This does not preclude the Council from using its per capita or capacity-building funding to support feasibility studies for site-related applications.
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 16, 2019
Under the authority of Article VIII Section 2 of the Bylaws of Region 3, and except to approve and amend the Bylaws, it is the policy of the Region 3 Council that the Executive Committee will have the authority to take actions on behalf of the Region 3 Council, subject to the policy guidelines established by the GO Virginia State Board, and providing notification to the Council at the next Council meeting.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 7/24/2019
It is the policy of the Region 3 Council that should budget adjustments be needed for approved Projects that are being implemented, the Region 3 Program Manager will work with the Project Lead, DHCD, and the Region 3 Fiscal Agent to make adjustments as needed and in alignment with GO Virginia State policies, and that do not impact the approved metrics, outcomes or timeline of the Project.
If such budget modifications impact the metrics, outcomes or timeline of the Project, or if there is an inability to come to agreement on the requested budget adjustments, the Chairman of the Council, in consultation with the Vice-Chairman, Region 3 Program Manager, and the Fiscal Agent, will review and make decisions to recommend to DHCD staff (and the State Board if necessary).
EFFECTIVE DATE: 7/24/2019
As is enabled by the funding guidelines for GO Virginia, it is the policy of the Region 3 Council that applicants for Per Capita and Competitive Funding will be required to negotiate an administrative fee not to exceed 8% above and beyond the project budget requirements, to be used by the Region Council Support Organization to offset costs associated with administration of post-approval project support.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/16/2019
To maximize resources and to consistently build on regional investments, it is the policy of the Region 3 Council that if a new project application is within the space of any previously-approved Region 3 funded project that is ongoing, the new application should demonstrate how the new project aligns with, extends the reach of, or fills gaps in, those previously-awarded ongoing projects. The applicant should clearly validate there is no duplication of efforts. Applicants are encouraged to connect with the leaders of previously-awarded projects and include input from them in the new application.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/28/2020
It is the policy of the Region 3 Council that all requests for Letters of Support for GO Virginia will be referred to the Project Review Committee. The Project Review Committee will apply its normal and customary review process and its recommendation on the Letter of Support will be presented to the Region 3 Council for consideration.
It is the policy of the Region 3 Council that all requests for Letters of Support from non-GO Virginia organizations will be referred to the Executive Committee for review and approval. The Executive Committee will be responsive to such requests subject to the time constraints and other commitments of its members and staff. Further, the Executive Committee will take into consideration whether the organization and the project underlying the Letter of Support aligns with the mission and purpose of GO Virginia.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/28/2020
The Executive Committee and the Project Review Committee collectively reviewed the survey results. After a thorough discussion, the following are recommended modifications to the current project review process:
- Project Review Committee (PRC) meetings will continue in a confidential setting as currently convened [note: the PRC meeting does not require public notification because only two (2) members of the Region 3 Council attend].
- On a rotating project by project basis, two (2) Region 3 Council members identified by the PRC Chair and Program Director will be provided project application materials for review and these Region 3 Council members may pose questions and provide input to the Program Director about the pending projects for communication to the PRC.
- The Program Director will determine whether all or any part of a project application should be excluded from public review under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (§ 2.2-3700), e.g., proprietary information, financials, etc.), and treat such documents accordingly.
- All project applications materials will be considered as “public” documents and will be provided to the Region 3 Council in advance of the regular meeting unless such documents contain information which may be treated as confidential under the Virginia of Information Act. The Program Director will use appropriate methods to transmit such confidential documents to the Region 3 Council.
- All projects coming forward from the PRC will be considered by the Region 3 Council in open meeting unless a closed meeting is necessary for any confidential element of the project.
- The Program Director may engage subject matter experts to review and comment on technical or complex applications prior to PRC consideration.
- Presentations by the project applicants/sponsors to the PRC and the Region 3 Council may occur on a case-by-case basis.
- The Program Director will exercise professional judgement and discretion to screen applicants/sponsors and projects for alignment with the Growth and Diversification Plan as well as the mission and purpose of the GO Virginia program.
- The Program Director will exercise professional judgement and discretion to determine whether a given application and/or applicant may begin or continue with the PRC.
- The Program Director will advise applicants/sponsors of the review process in its entirety prior to submitting a project application or other documentation.